I've been wanting to try sewing on cards, but never got around to it. My friend asked me to make some Cowgirl invitations for her daughter. I came up with a cute design, but after a month of the demo sitting on my desk, the sticky tape started to lift. So, I thought this would be a great time to try sewing on a card so that I wouldn't need the sticky tape.
I got this idea first from Nicole here, then again from Debbie here. I actually wanted to use the Vellum in Debbie's design, but my Nestability rectangle was not large enough to hold this size photo so I eliminated that layer.
My friend who ordered these invitations is a Photographer in the North Florida area (Kustom Kiddies is her website and here is her blog...if you browse her website, you will see some pictures of my kiddos). This picture in the example above is actually my daughter Ansley that Shannon took last year. Isn't that a great shot? Ansley usually clams up for the camera and gives a fake smile. But Shannon just let her play and kept shooting pictures so we got a great natural smile!
In addition to the stitching on the new design, the image is colored differently...in my demo card (on the left), I colored the cowgirl as a blonde, but Shannon's daughter (and my daughter) have brown hair so I colored the image on the right with Creamy Caramel hair and changed the hat and boots to Close to Cocoa.
Anyway, back to the card...In the original design, I created a pocket by scoring the sides and folding them under to hold the picture. Well, after a month, the sticky strip started to peel up. In the new design, I sewed each layer on...no tape so nothing will peel up!
Here is a close up of the new design...
I also wanted to point out one more thing. This stamp is called Clarabelle and Riley from High Hopes Rubber Stamps and if you click on the name of the stamp, you will see that it is actually an image of a BOY hugging the cow! (I also used this stamp here and here). Shannon really wanted this image for her invitations, so she asked me to make it a GIRL!! I used a black journaler and drew in some long hair and a bow on the hat. I also added some Dazzling Diamonds Glitter to the bow and the scarf and added pink rosy cheeks. A few little changes and Riley becomes Rileigh!! ha ha...I hope I don't get in trouble for altering the image :-0!
I am really happy with how easy it was to sew on the card. After a few tries on scrap paper, this was my first attempt on a whole card. Only 1 mistake on the bottom of the pocket...
I promise that you will see a lot more sewing on cards. Now that the "fear" of trying something new has been tackled, it really isn't that hard so I will do it again. I think I will just leave me sewing machine out from now on!!
Thanks for stopping by!