If you visit my blog often, then you probably have seen my tutorial on making party favor puzzles. With my initial design, I used 3 sheets of Papertrey Stampers Select White CS and glued the layers together. When I was trying to figure out the thickness for the puzzles, I thought "I wish my coasters were larger, they would be perfect".
Well, guess what?...Ellen Hutson LLC has a new product called "Craft-a-Board". What is Craft-a-Board? It is basically a 9"x13" sheet of light weight coasters!!
I compared the Craft-a-Board next to my light weight coasters from All that Scraps, and they are the same thickness, same texture, basically it looks like the coasters are cut from this product. Therefore....the possibilities are ENDLESS!!
Unfortunately, I could not get a good picture of craft a board's thickness next to lightweight coaster thickness...my camera would not focus. It's currently stormy outside so the light is dull inside the house from the rain and my camera could not get focus. However, here is a coaster on top of a piece of Craft-a-Board...
As soon as I saw that the product was available for sale, I purchased 3 packs. I knew I wanted to use them for my puzzles. And here is my first one...
I knew I wanted to create a beach scene using these awesome High Hopes stamps (and a retired SU dolphin). I stamped the Palm Tree, Leilani, and jungle leaf corner directly onto a piece of 5 1/2"x4 1/4" piece of Craft-a-Board using Stazon Black Ink. Then I masked off half of the Dolphin from Silly Sea Life (Retired SU) and stamped him in Stazon. I used a SU Stampin' Write Marker to draw in the lines to create the illusion of a beach and a skyline. Then I water colored the images with an aquapainter and highlighted with markers.
I found watercoloring onto the Craft a Board was similar to watercoloring onto Watercolor paper. The ink and water bleed a little. It created a cool effect. Then I outlined the images with my SU markers.
I sponged Creamy Caramel onto the "beach", "Baha Breeze" onto the "ocean", So Saffron (using a whole punched with my SU scallop circle) for the sun, then Bashful Blue for the sky using a scallop circle to randomly create clouds.
After I was done coloring my scene, I ran it through my cuttlebug using the Puzzle die. Die sponge side up and puzzle face down...
* Tip: My husband found a few tips that make it easier...instead of cranking the handle when trying to cut a puzzle, "pop" the handle...get the handle at the top and quickly pop it down in a fast motion. Once the sandwich starts moving through the machine, you can easily crank the handle...it's just getting it started that is hard.
* 2nd Tip: My husband also found out that it is sometimes easier to prop the cuttlebug against a wall to help push the sandwich through...like this...
I will be adding names to the puzzles to personalize them, but...oops...I forgot to stamp this one before I cut it!! I guess this will be Ansley's!
I have a different design for the boys that I haven't finished yet. So I will post those later.
If you decide to use Craft a Board or make a puzzle, please send me a link. Here is a puzzle Kelly made. Wow! Check out all that masking!! Since I have to make 12 of these puzzles, I deliberatly designed the layout so I did not have to mask off (except the dolphin which was simple...I just used a piece of paper and stamped the image half on the paper and half on the board). But, the watercoloring took forever!! It took me at least an hour to watercolor 4 puzzles. Of course, my son and daughter decided they wanted to make one too so I had to stop many times to help them.
Thanks for stopping by!